I’d been looking forward to this wedding for a LONG time!
Every now and then, I’m asked to entertain at Anglo-French weddings and they NEVER disappoint! Amy & François wedding reception was no exception to this rule!
Even better, their evening reception was held in my local village hall where I’ve had the pleasure of entertaining on many occasions in the past.
I met Amy & François for the first time just a couple of weeks ago to go through their ideas for their evening (they live a long way from the venue….by several hundred miles, so meeting up was always going to be a challenge).
The brief – to provide a party to remember.
How hard can that be?
In the event – not very. Because of the number of French relations in attendance, I always ask for a selection of favourite songs that they’ll know in advance. This way – both sides of the newly formed family are involved in the celebrations. I also try to make any announcements in both French and English, which as a non-French speaker is always a challenge I look forward to 😉
Amy & François’s wedding had happened much earlier in the day – before noon. This meant that they and their guests had spent the entire afternoon inside the hall with near freezing temperatures and heavy rain outside. I was nervous that guests would possibly have had enough by the time the first dance was over and start heading for home.
How wrong I was!
The first dance itself was different to the norm (and I LIKE different!). Amy & François waltzed alone for a minute or so to The Blue Danube, before switching to dancing with their parents and then inviting the assembled guests to join them on the dance floor. To see a dance floor the size of the one at Witchford Village Hall full of guests waltzing is a sight to behold…and one that’ll stay with me for a long time to come!
From that point on….the dance floor NEVER emptied!
Usually at any party you naturally experience natural lulls in the number of people on the dance floor. Guests want to take a breather, talk to each other, go for a cigarette break. NOT TONIGHT!
Even during the evening buffet, guests were on the dance floor….some of them with full plates of food. It was absolutely amazing!
Dear reader…..I was expecting you to ask this one!
Just how do you entertain a room full of guests from two completely different cultures? Thankfully, it’s actually quite easy.
Much of the music played in France is actually the same music we listen to over here. Added to a fair smattering of specific French party tracks, the night was a massive success which ended with more thanks, handshakes, hugs and double-cheek-kissing than I’ve experienced in a very long time. I’m a very happy DJ 🙂
So – to the playlist.
It jumps around A LOT! It was one of those sorts of nights where I was able to jump across genres and languages to create the perfect evening for Amy & François, and I’m really proud of the way it went. Most of the tracks below were guest requests on the night with just a limited few of my own selections.
* London Philharmonic Orchestra – On the Beautiful Blue Danube
* Yannick – ces soirées là (Extended version)
* Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling
* Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk (Radio Edit)
* Daft Punk – Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams)
* Tom Jones – Sex Bomb
* Earth Wind and Fire – September
* Kool and the Gang – Celebration
* The O’Jays – Love Train (Album Version)
* Bee Gees – You Should Be Dancing (2007 Remastered)
* Claude François – Alexandrie Alexandra
* Village People – YMCA
* Wham – Wake me up before you go go
* A-ha – Take On Me
* Abba – Dancing Queen
* Dolly Parton – 9 To 5
* ABBA – MAMMA MIA
* Whitney Houston – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
* The Spice Girls – Megamix
* Pinkfong – Baby Shark
* Téléphone – New York avec toi – Remasterisé en 2006
* INDOCHINE – L AVENTURIER
* S Club 7 – Reach
* S Club 7 – Don’t Stop Movin
* Chesney Hawkes – The One And Only
* Bryan Adams – Summer of ´69
* Bon Jovi – Livin On a Prayer
* Queen – Dont Stop me Now
* Thierry Hazard – Le jerk
* Louise Attaque – J’t’emmene au vent
* Rednex – Cotton Eye Joe
* Vengaboys – We Like To Party (The Vengabus)
* Aqua – Doctor Jones
* Vengaboys – Up and down
* Darude – Sandstorm
* LMFAO – Party Rock Anthem
* David Guetta feat. Ne-Yo & Akon – Play Hard (New Edit)
* LMFAO – Sexy and I Know It
* Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee – Despacito (Remix)
* ToTo – Africa
* Journey – Don’t Stop Believin 2014
* LES INCONNUS – C’EST TOI QUE JE T’AIME
* Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit
* Kings Of Leon – Sex On Fire
* The Killers – Mr Brightside
* Zebda – Tomber La Chemise
* The Rolling Stones – Brown Sugar – 2009 Re-Mastered Digital Version
* Amen Corner – Bend Me, Shape Me
* Little Eva – the locomotion
* LULU – SHOUT
* Chubby Checker – Let’s Twist Again
* The Contours – Do You Love Me
* Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes – (I’ve Had) The Time of my Life
* Neil Diamond – Sweet Caroline
* Abba – Waterloo
* Dexys Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen
* Bad Manners – Can Can
* Various Artists – The Grease Megamix
* Tony Christie – (is this the way to) Amarillo
* PROCLAIMERS – I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
* Vengaboys – Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!
* House Of Pain – Jump Around
* Whigfield – Saturday Night
* Los Del Rio – Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix)
* mc hammer – ucant touch this
* Laurent Voulzy – Rockollection
* Mano Negra – Mala Vida
* The Rolling Stones – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
* Queen – We Will Rock You
* Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
* Guns N Roses – Sweet Child O Mine
* Bon Jovi – You Give Love A Bad Name
* Les Wampas – Manu Chao
* ACDC – Highway to Hell
* Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar On Me
* Dolly Parton – Jolene
* Blur – Song 2
* Oasis – Wonderwall
* Michel Sardou – Les Lacs Du Connemara