My final wedding party for 2019, and WOW! What a way to end the season!!!
Let’s rewind just a little bit for this very special occasion though. I first met Richard way back in 1993….yes, he’s my Brother in Law.
So when the call came to provide the entertainment for his and Helen’s special day 20 years after he attended my own wedding as an usher, of course I said yes!
So then, a wedding where I’m both a guest AND a supplier – always interesting and actually a lot harder than any other wedding I work at.
No, it wasn’t a formal affair with a massive timeline (far from it….and I enjoy the more relaxed weddings as regular readers will know).
It was harder because as a relation and good friend, I wanted this particular wedding to be the very best I could do, and when working in front of close relations and friends, it kinda adds to the pressure a little bit.
And the best I could do was exactly what Helen and Richard got!
As has been very popular this year, the theme for the wedding was “rustic” (another box ticked on my favourites list!). So….rustic booth it was then 🙂
The rustic booth has been on a bit of a diet since the last time it was used (it was heavy and unwieldy to transport) and it worked a LOT better with it’s transformation.
And as you’ll see from the picture, the compacting of the booth was ideal for this particular venue where space was at a bit of a premium.
OK – time for a shameless “selfie” of Mrs Imagine and myself. As a guest, we went to the ceremony in the nearby village of Sutton, so had to set up the equipment well in advance.
Unusually of late, it was a church service and the church itself was gorgeous (and those that know me will know that I don’t tend to make a habit of visiting such buildings).
The ceremony was made even better by the fact that it was at 4:30 in the evening so it was dark and the church itself was beautifully lit.
The darkness also leant itself brilliantly to a sparkler guard of honour as Helen and Richard left the church as newlyweds!
So, to the reception and the bit where I come in!
Because I’ve waffled on far too much so far!
You don’t want to hear about my family’s weddings…you want to read about what I can do for YOUR day, don’t you?
Then sit back and read on….
Firstly, there was no “fixed” timeline as such. Those that I’ve worked with will attest that although I work in a fairly informal manner, it’s nice to have an idea of when things will happen.
It doesn’t always go to plan, and sometimes different things are thrown into the mix at the last moment. Believe it or not, I THRIVE on these challenges!
The evening was adapted to suit, and everything ran really well!
Yes, there were a couple of technical challenges (getting sound around an “L” shaped room for example for speeches and background music can be “interesting”.
Yes, things on the timing side of things went awry.
What mattered to me though is that Richard and Helen could relax and enjoy the proceedings without worrying about what was happening next.
And so to the party!
My time to shine, and show my family (even my wife, son and daughter who don’t normally come to work with me), what I do for a living. See…no pressure involved whatsoever!
The first dance was Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen.
Helen and Richard loved the fact that they didn’t have to wobble about on the dance floor alone for too long before confetti was fired and the party proper started!
And start, the party most definitely DID!
My brief for the evening was simple!
The party was to be fun, without the need for cheesy “action dances” such as the Cha Cha Slide and the Macarena.
I couldn’t possibly disagree!
So, some photos then
I didn’t actually take too many photos of the evening action because I was very busy doing what I do best – creating memories!
But, here’s a few that I DID manage to capture!
So, "what was the playlist that created this much dancing?" I hear you ask.
From my side of the booth, it was a bit patchy if I’m honest. There were times when things went from one genre to another that I wouldn’t normally consider doing.
BUT – it worked as the photos will attest and the dance floor was full for the duration (happy DJ!)
- Queen – Don’t Stop me Now (First Dance)
- Bryan Adams – Summer of ´69
- Bon Jovi – Livin’ On a Prayer
- B52’s – Love Shack (request from Helen)
- Kenny loggins – Footloose (guest request)
- Bonnie Tyler – Holding Out For A Hero (guest request)
- Meryl Streep – Mamma Mia (guest request)
- The Weather Girls – It’s Raining Men
- The Communards Don’t Leave Me This Way
- Tiffany – I Think Were Alone Now
- Wham – Wake me up before you go go
- S Club 7 -Reach
- The Spice Girls – Megamix
- Whitney Houston – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
- Earth Wind and Fire – September (guest request)
- Beyonce – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) (guest request)
- Flo Rida Feat T-Pain – Low
Reel Big Fish – Take On Me (special request for Helen and Richard)
- Chumbawamba – Tubthumping
- The Fratellis- Chelsea Dagger
- Kings Of Leon – Sex On Fire
- The Killers – Mr Brightside
- Walk The Moon – Shut Up And Dance
- LMFAO – Party Rock Anthem
- Vengaboys – We Like To Party (The Vengabus)
- Abba – Dancing Queen
- Hanson – MMMBop (guest request)
- Chesney Hawkes – The One And Only (because Helen mentioned in her speech that Richard was her “one and only”!)
- Bay City Rollers – Shang-A-Lang (guest request from the mother of the bride)
- Mud – Tiger Feet (as above)
- The Monkees – I’m a Believer
- Dire Straits – Walk Of Life (an absolute must play for Helen’s mum)
- The Jam – Town Called Malice (request from Helen)
- The Jam – Going Underground
- Madness – Baggy trousers (the dance floor was rammed for this one!)
- Madness – One Step Beyond (because, well…I just had to!)
- Madonna – Like a Prayer (guest request)
- Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
- Five – Keep On Movin’ (guest request)
- Dexys Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen
- House Of Pain – Jump Around
- MC Hammer – U Can’t Touch This (guest request)
- Haddaway – What Is Love
- Black Box – Ride On Time
- Erasure – A Little Respect (guest request)
- Wham – I’m Your Man (guest request)
- Diana Ross – Chain Reaction (guest request)
- Cher – Believe (guest request)
- Robbie Williams Rock DJ
- The Proclaimers I’m Gonna Be 500 Miles (the recessional from the church)
- Rednex – Cotton Eye Joe
- Vengaboys – Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!
- DJ Otzi – Hey Baby
- Journey – Don’t Stop Believin 2014
- Reel Big Fish – Take On Me (repeat, because Helen missed it the first time!)
- Queen – Don’t Stop me Now (repeat of the first dance for the circle of love)
My last wedding of the 2019 season, and one to remember for a long time to come – not least of all because I did what I do for a member of my own family!
EVERY wedding I work at is special and unique, and YOURS will be no exception to that rule!
If YOU want a wedding to remember for a long time to come….follow the instructions below!