The first night of 2019 with the Retro Roadshow was always going to be a good one.
Lots of changes have been made to the setup since it’s last outing last year, funnily enough in the same venue – The Red Lion in Whittlesford!
Space this time was a little on the limited side, so the light-show was a cut down version of the full 16 feet rig I’m able to put out. Even so, with the addition of the new overhead kit there was more than enough light on the dance floor.
So to the party….
This was Linda’s 60th birthday, and she’d booked me specifically for the Retro Roadshow setup. It wasn’t the biggest number of guests (I think the head count was around 30-40 in the end), but that makes it all the more personal.
With the vast majority of her guests being of the same vintage, this was always going to be a night of music from the 60s to the 80s. It’s the sort of evening I enjoy a LOT and this one didn’t disappoint (see the playlist later in the post!).
It was the type of party which is relaxed and gives me the chance to blow the cobwebs off of some of the older favourites – an absolutely brilliant evening.
There was no set playlist for the evening. In fact until I started playing music I had no idea which direction the music was going to take, and that’s a lot of fun from my side of the booth.
It was mainly 60s/Motown, with just a smattering of 70s to 90s and a couple from the current day.
- The Isley Brothers – Put Yourself In My Place
- Stevie Wonder – For Once In My Life
- Diana Ross – Upside Down
- Lionel Richie – All Night Long
- The Temptations – Treat Her Like A Lady
- The Supremes – You Can’t Hurry Love
- The Supremes – Stop! In the Name of Love
- Abba – Dancing Queen
- The Nolans – I’m In The Mood For Dancing
- The Foundation – Build Me Up Buttercup
- The Archies – Sugar Sugar
- The Jacksons – Blame It On The Boogie
- Earth Wind and Fire – September
- Amen Corner – Bend Me, Shape Me
- The Kinks – You Really Got Me
- The Rolling Stones – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
- Dolly Parton – 9 To 5
- Whitney Houston – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
- Tavares – More Than A Woman
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling
- Billy Joel – Uptown Girl
- Diana Ross – Chain Reaction
- Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen
- Wham – Wake me up before you go go
- S Club 7 – Reach
- John Travolta; Olivia Newton-John – Grease Megamix: You’re the One That I Want
- Tony Christie – (Is this the way to) Amarillo
- Proclaimers – I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles
- T. Rex – I Love to Boogie
- Mud – Tiger Feet
- The Monkees – Daydream Believer
- Neil Diamond – Sweet Caroline
- Tom Jones – Delilah
- Jeff Beck – Hi Ho Silver Lining
- Manfred Mann – Do Wah Diddy Diddy
- Little Eva – The Locomotion
- Al Wilson – The Snake
- Frank Wilson – Do I Love You Indeed I Do
- Black Eyed Peas – Where Is The Love
- Etta James and Riley Hampton – At Last (Single Version)
- Elvis Presley – Can’t help falling in love
- Percy Sledge – When A Man Loves A Woman
- Barry White – You’re The First, The Last, My everything
- The Trammps – Disco Inferno
- The Motors – Airport
- Frank Sinatra – Theme From New York, New York (Last song of evening)