I don’t traditionally do many Christmas parties. I work hard all year on weddings and try to spend December relaxing with my family.
However, I always do a couple every year.
Tonight’s party was for the Cambridgeshire PCU. I did their Christmas party last year and have also been recommended to others because of the job I do….I’m flattered (and very grateful).
The venue this year was Clare College in Cambridge, a venue I’m familiar with having been there a couple of times in the past.
Working in any of the Cambridge colleges is a very surreal experience. The buildings themselves are hundreds of years old and steeped in history. They weren’t however, designed to have PA and lighting systems dragged into them. Clare is possibly the hardest to get to, with a very narrow and winding staircase down to the vaulted bar beneath the chapel, and a very long drive to their allocated parking space before returning on foot to do the job of entertaining.
That said, it’s a lot of fun and a real privilege to work in such historic buildings.
So, to the party….
The staff had been wined and dined in the main hall of the college before adjourning to the JCR bar where I was set up. As you’ll see from the photos below, it’s an absolutely gorgeous room with low vaulted ceilings – it doesn’t take much in the way of sound and lighting to make things work in there.
The guests were by now, well and truly up for a party as well.
The music was all within a fairly narrow window of years as well – which is why I like this particular Christmas party. The main bulk of the music for the evening originated in the 1970s, with just a few from the 1980s and then into the 1990s. An absolutely brilliant night were everything just “flowed” the way things should. The dance floor never emptied!
Before we get to the playlist – here’s just a few photos of the evening’s action
And so…..to the playlist
The vast majority of tonight’s music was selected by the guests, which from experience always makes for a much better party with a lot more dancing.
Here’s how things panned out….
- Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas Is You
- Calvin Harris, Sam Smith – Promises
- Earth Wind and Fire – September
- Bee Gees – You Should Be Dancing (2007 Remastered)
- Wham – Wake me up before you go go
- Abba – Dancing Queen
- Abba – Mamma Mia
- Whitney Houston – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
- Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling
- Sister Sledge – Lost In Music
- The Jacksons – Blame It On The Boogie
- Chic – Le Freak
- Bee Gees – Night Fever (Remastered)
- Michael Jackson – Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough (2003 Edit)
- Donna Summer – Hot Stuff (Single Version)
- T. Rex – I Love to Boogie
- Mud – Tiger Feet
- The Sweet – The Ballroom Blitz 1973
- S Club 7 – Reach
- The Spice Girls – Megamix
- B Witched – C’est la vie
- Chesney Hawkes – The One And Only
- Black Box – Ride On Time
- M People – One Night in Heaven
- Toploader – Dancing in the Moonlight
- Dexys Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen
- Chumbawamba – Tubthumping
- Bangles – Walk Like An Egyptian
- Daft Punk – Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams)
- House Of Pain – Jump Around
- Ike and Tina Turner – Proud Mary
- Pump – Common People
- Blur – Song 2
- The Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling
- The Killers – Mr Brightside
- The Fratellis – Chelsea Dagger
- Sly and the Family Stone – Family Affair
- The Proclaimers – I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
- Oasis – Wonderwall
- Shakin’ Stevens – Merry Christmas Everyone